MoneyMatters101.com Home
Social Security Information

10 Important Facts
Accurate Records
Apply Online
A Quick History
Are You Ready
A Valuable Possession
Benefits Chart
Benefits For Children
Benefit Payments
Can I Change My Mind
Caring For A Child
Changing Information
Children With Disabilities
Criminal Offenses
Contact SSI
Debt And Social Security
Denial of SS Disability
Direct Express Card
Disability Benefits
Earnings Record
Electronic Payments
Facts About Medicaid
Get Another SS Card
Good Or Bad Idea?
If You Are Divorced
Change Your Name
Increase SS Income
Is SS In Trouble?
Is Social Security Taxed?
Looking Ahead
Marriages, Divorces
Married Couples
Marital Status
Medicaid Benefits
Medicaid (Your Property)
Medicare Benefits
New Changes
No Cost Of Living Increase
Other SS Facts
Protect Your SS Number
Retirement Benefits
Should I Wait To Collect?
Social Security
SS Not Going Broke!
SS Numbers
SS Goes Electronic
Supplemental SS
Survivor Benefits
Taking Benefits Early
The Income Tax You Pay
The SS Trust Fund
There Are Risks Involved
Think About Retiring
When To Retire
Widow And Widower
Women And SS
Women And SS Facts
You Can Still Work


Email Us

Employee Benefits
Long Term Ins.
Senior Life




Social Security: Criminal Offenses

Information taken from Social Security Administration SSA Publication No. 05-10077 ICN 468300.

If you have an outstanding warrant for your arrest

You must tell us if you have an outstanding arrest warrant for any of the following felony offenses;

  • Flight to avoid prosecution or confinement;
  • Escape from custody; and
  • Flight-escape

You can't receive regular retirement, survivors, disability benefits, or any underpayments you may be due, for any month in which there is an outstanding arrest warrant for any of these felony offenses.

If you're convicted of a criminal offense

If you get Social Security benefits and are convicted of a crime, Social Security should be notified immediately. Benefits generally aren't paid for the months a person is confined, but any family members who are eligible may continue to receive benefits.

If you've committed a crime and are confined to an institution

Benefits usually aren't paid to persons who commit a crime and are confined to an institution by court order and at public expense for more than 30 continuous days. This applies if the person has been found:

  • Guilty, but insane; or
  • Not guilty by reason of insanity or similar factors (such as mental disease, mental defect or mental incompetence); or
  • Incompetent to stand trial; or
  • Sexually dangerous.

If you violate a condition of parole or probation

You must tell us if you're violating a condition of your probation or parole imposed under federal or state law. You can't receive Social Security benefits for any month in which you violate a condition of your probation or parole.

Note:  Contact your local Social Security Administration Office for all the latest updates on benefits and filing requirements.

Call the Social Security Administration toll free at 1-800-772-1213 or at our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778 if you're deaf or hard of hearing.

Book of the Month

Book about investing

Advertise on MoneyMatters101.com



Accessibility Policy| Terms Of Use| Privacy Policy| Advertise with Us| Contact Us

Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use.

We are looking to create more mutually beneficial partnerships. If you are interested in partnering with MoneyMatters101.com, send us your proposal.


Link to MoneyMatters101.com