2/18/2018

MoneyMatters101.com Home
Funeral Costs

Cremation
Grave Burials
Funeral Expenses
Funeral Homes
Prepaid Plans
Shopping For A Casket
Types Of Caskets
What Are My Rights?

Links

Email Us

Life Insurance

Personal Liability Ins.

MoneyMatters101



 

Grave Burials

In western societies, when most people die, their bodies are traditionally buried in a grave below ground or in a mausoleum.

Life insurance is one of the most important insurances you can carry, not just on yourself, but on your spouse, your children, and other loved ones. Although no one really likes to think about it, death is always just a second away and you can't predict the exact time it's going to come. This is why you should always be prepared.

A funeral is one of the most expensive events you will have in your life. The trauma of a loved ones death is devastating enough, but the costs to dispose of the body adds to the frustration and grief. Having the right amount of life insurance is one of the best ways for most people to see their way through such trying times.

There are not a lot of ways to dispose of remains; ground or mausoleum burials, cremation, or the donation of the remains for scientific research are really your only options. Over 90 percent of Americans choose grave burials for disposing of their loved ones remains while the other 10 percent use cremation or other methods.

In essence, a grave burial is the preferred way to dispose of remains and it is the most expensive. One cemetery plot is costly, but in many cases, the surviving spouse or the parents of the deceased may want to be buried nearby. This means that more than one plot has to be purchased; sometimes three, four, or more.

Note: You may not have to buy cemetery plots if you live in a rural area where private family plots are available.

Headstones are another fairly large expense. In some of the larger cities, headstones are not allowed anymore, but in private cemeteries, especially in rural areas, they are still a part of the burial ritual. Embalming, caskets, clothing, flowers, family cars, motorcycle escorts, and other services are also added to the overall costs making a grave site burial expensive.

According to the National Funeral Directors Association, the average cost of a funeral in the United States is $6,500 and that figure can go much higher. Without a life insurance policy or a pre-need plan, the costs will have to come from some other source such as cash out of pocket, a loan, or from friends and relatives.

To say the least, a life insurance policy is a necessity for most people and although no one can predict when a death will occur, it is the one thing that is eventually going to happen to everyone. No one is immune to death.

Note: Veterans are entitled to a free grave burial in a military cemetery. Under certain circumstances, the spouse or surviving spouse of an eligible veteran is eligible for interment in a national cemetery. Minor children and permanently disabled children, up to age 21, of an eligible veteran may also be buried in a national cemetery.

Book of the Month

Book about investing

Advertise on MoneyMatters101.com

 

Share


Accessibility Policy| Terms Of Use| Privacy Policy| Advertise with Us| Contact Us

Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use.

We are looking to create more mutually beneficial partnerships. If you are interested in partnering with MoneyMatters101.com, send us your proposal.

MoneyMatters101.com™

Link to MoneyMatters101.com